Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Breaking Things Down

This class has been a wonderful stretching experience for me. I’ve benefited greatly from all of our discussions in class, and have really grown in my understanding of Biblical worship. While I was reflecting on all we learned this semester, I was struck with just how much ground we actually covered in such a short time. We discussed prayer, communion, and the content and form of congregational singing, just to name a few.  However, I think the highlight of the class for me was when we sat down and analyzed specific songs and texts for their value in corporate worship. I think some of our best discussions took place in this context.

            
   When we analyze songs, or any aspect of a worship service, we must break it down into its individual pieces. Then we can analyze it much more objectively. With that in mind, I think that one of the most helpful things from this semester has been the regulative principle. I still haven’t decided whether I like the principle or not, but it has been incredibly helpful in guiding my thinking. Ligon Duncan comments, “The basic acts of worship we perform because they are clearly commanded in Scripture. The ways and means of doing them we try to order according to scriptural principles.” (GPTG, 22)
    The regulative principle puts every aspect of a worship service into one of 4 categories: substance, elements, forms and circumstances. The first 2 categories are non-negotiable, they are commanded by God. The second 2 categories are open for change and modification under the watchful eye of common sense and discernment.  (GPTG, 23)
     While I can’t accept the regulative principle as the “be all and end all” of corporate worship, I do think that it is very helpful in analyzing specifics to test their validity and helpfulness. The principle breaks everything up (as artificially as it may be) into pieces, which allows us to much more objectively analyze it for appropriateness and helpfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment