Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Communion

Sadly, I would have to say that for a long period of my life I did not have a full understanding of communion. And I know I probably took it without too much thought as to what the purpose of communion was. Even now I know it can be difficult to focus in on what communion means. Instead of going into the service having my  heart prepared and examined I all too often will only prepare myself just minutes before we receive communion. I think for a long time it was just a thing that we did in church, although I would think about Christ death and resurrection, I would stop thinking about it just minutes after the service ended. Burroughs writes, "We abuse God when we come to take the seal to a blank. It is to make this ordinance a ridiculous thing. Therefore, there must be some transaction between God and your souls before you come to the seal.  Although he was referring to believers taking communion instead of unbelievers I think this can still apply to believers communing with God before they actually take communion themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment