Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mind? or Heart Worship?

"You might say, "We must pray to God and serve Him, hear His Word and go to the common." Yes, but what do your souls do in this work of worshipping God? This should be the answer, and so you should think to yourselves and charge this upon your own hearts: 'I am now going to worship God, either in prayer, Word, or sacraments. I am now going to tender up that homage that is due from the creature to the infinite Creator, so that I must so pray as I must manifest that high respect that I owe to God as my Creator" (pg. 38). And what a beautiful distinction between that which we can do souly by means of our minds, and that of our hearts. Surely one can use his mind and body to do many acts of service, but as 2 Cor 13:3 states, "If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing!". And thus, what I believe Burroughs attempts to aim at in this above statement is a re-evalution of where mans heart is in within the daily functions of his or her life. Again Burroughs goes on to state that "I am at all times to 'labor' to enjoy communion with God" (pg. 39). The process of submitting the heart to humility before God is not an easy task in the least but a necessary one for those whom wish to reflect Christ both before God and in communion with His Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment