Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Work/Worship Conundrum

As I blog live from the Meoni brothers auto shop I can't help but meditate on Burroughs' words in chapter three of Gospel Worship:

"...I must labour  to separate my heart from a common use...when I come to worship Him, I must separate my heart from all common uses so that my heart may be wholly for God (p.65)"

There is a tremendous irony in the application of this for those of us who are often very busy...I find that I labour diligently for common (and albeit, purposeful) things during the course of a day. However when it is time to prepare for worship I find it not a relief but an intense struggle to separate my heart for what is indeed the only use that my heart was created for. I have been praying diligently (sometimes during the singing of a song in service) that God would have MERCY on me for being so prideful in my own work ethic, so boastful in my own head-knowledge of God (which in comparison to His knowledge is...) to think that I either don't need to work to separate my heart before worship or to think that it should be "easier" to do so. 

But thank God that He is indeed merciful and will help us as we draw near to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment