Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Nourishing Affections?

"First, those who are most familiar with God are the most potent with God (GW, 48)."

In order to draw nigh to God in worship we must already be familiar or reverent of Him constantly outside of the corporate worship setting. I think the text implies that the familiarity be renewed each day. Often times I notice that I am not preoccupied with thoughts of God or a desire to be familiar with Him before corporate worship and yet somehow magically expect to be enraptured with "good feelings" or to exhibit truly authentic affections during worship with other believers. I don't think that it is wise to believe that our affections can be truly genuine or authentic in corporate worship if they are not being nourished regularly outside of that setting.  I do not believe that there is a formula or system to preparing for worship, rather I think in our thoughts and behavior and speech we should always be repaired to worship corporately with one another. Our potency is greatly limited when we are not constantly recharging ourselves from our Primary Source. 

SL

No comments:

Post a Comment