Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pollution

"Who does this? Who is the man, or where is he that will do this, subject the worship of God to his base lusts?" (Burroughs 94, or Ch5 ¶9).

I have discovered that it is often I. I use duties like prayer and attentiveness to the preaching of the Word to cover up my sin and ease my guilty conscience. I have never spoken thus, "Who will think me to be guilty of such a vile thing when I pray as I do and am so careful to hear the Word? I hope I shall cover some wickedness this way." Rather, this has been in the deep recesses of my heart.
But after some consideration, I believe that often times I have worshiped God from a pure heart. The problem lies in my tendency to look back at the performance of particular duties in order to bring attention to them as being the reason I don't have to feel guilty over a recent outworking of sin. Since my conscious tells me that I do indeed subject the worship of God to such base ends, I have asked the Lord to rebuke me today and speak to my heart. At least in this moment, I am confident that I do not want to pollute the name of God.

So the question is this: how do I know if I am subjecting the worship of God to my own base lusts and ends?

Proverbs 20:5 ESV The purpose in a man’s heart is like deep water, but a man of understanding will draw it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment